It’s taken me a couple of days to process what I heard at Synergy and boil it down to bullets. These are my takeaway points:
- We are emerging from the polymer ghetto and crossing over into broader participation in the art world
- We are making closer alliances with important advocates – museums and academic institutions among them
- Mash-ups of media are commonplace and these collaborations signal an acceptance of polymer
- Media tools bring our art in front of a wide audience
- Many artists are working in polymer which is raising the bar
- Calling our art “polymer” and dropping “clay” is becoming the most favored description and avoids confusion with ceramics
I’ll try to elaborate on these themes and share some of the techniques presented in future posts. You can sense the participants’ energy and excitement in this album of snapshots that I’ve assembled.
Janet Pitcher wore her new polymer and filigree design shown here at one event and I didn’t want you to miss it.